What Should I Set my Thermostat at to Save Money?
Programmable thermostats are a great thing. They are your set-it-and-forget-it way to have more control over your heating and cooling costs.
But then we ran across a surprise statistic: Nine out of 10 Americans say they rarely (or never!) program their thermostat. Why? Because they’re not sure how to do it.
That lack of knowledge carries a big price tag, because managing your home’s temperature with a programmable thermostat can save you 10 percent —or more! — on your energy costs.
If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, now is the time to get one! They’re reasonably priced and they pay for themselves in the first year thanks to the energy savings, which continue for years to come.
Some programmable thermostats can also be controlled through WiFi and your smartphone for even more customizing of your home’s temperature to keep your home comfortable while saving you money.
Stop throwing money away and use these tips from the U.S. Department of Energy for cost-effective thermostat settings.
Thermostat settings for winter
- Set your thermostat for 68 degrees when you’re at home and awake.
- Program the thermostat for 10 degrees lower than your daytime setting when you’re away from home or asleep.
Thermostat settings for summer
- When you’re at home, program your air conditioning system to be at 78 degrees.
- Program your AC to shut off when you’re away from home.
Thermostat tips for all year-round
- Program your thermostat to set your heating to go 10 degrees lower or your A/C to shut off 20 to 30 minutes before you leave the house each day.
- Return your thermostat to your at-home temperature setting about 30 minutes before you are scheduled to come home so the house will be comfortable when you arrive.
- Program your thermostat to adjust the heating or cooling for sleeping hours an hour before bedtime, and set it to return to your regular temperature setting 30 minutes before you get up.
- Remember to program your thermostat to run your heating or cooling system less while you’re away on vacation. And don’t forget to turn down your water heater to the low or vacation setting before you go.
Resnick Energy offers reliable heating oil, propane and kerosene to your home in Sullivan, eastern Ulster or northern Orange county. Become a customer today!